Weaver Memorial Library
- Opened 1938
- Addition added 1991
- Renovated 2009-2010
In 1871 Mrs. Rhoda Bassett, with her friend Mrs. Susan M. Weaver interested a group of friends to form the Ladies Social Union, to establish a library in the village of Watchemocket. By 1876 their fund raising activities produced enough money to start a circulating library with 1,000 books (E.P. Post 10/30/1969)
The Library was successful but mobile, moving five time until 1938. It found a permanent home in the present building on Grove Avenue thanks to the generous bequest of Mrs. Susan Weaver. In 1963 the Children’s Room was opened. A major addition in 1991, and the renovations in 2009 and 2010 have resulted in the popular resource center the library is today.
Riverside Library Branch
- A library in Riverside was established in 1881 at St Mark’s Church.
- The Riverside Free Public Library Association was incorporated in 1884.
- In 1894 a library building was constructed on Lincoln Avenue.
- Riverside Library branch was later located on Pawtucket Avenue in the city’s Recreation Center building at 100 Bullocks Point Ave.
- In 2005 construction was completed on a new building at 475 Bullocks Point Ave.
Our Heritage: A History of East Providence see p. 77, 126-127, p. 146
Rumford Library Branch 1905-2012 (CLOSED)
1392 Pawtucket Avenue
Rumford, RI 02916
Here is a link to a Providence Journal article (from 10/27/2005) regarding the 100th anniversary of the Rumford Library.
- The Pawtucket Avenue library building was constructed in 1905.
- The building now a private residence. Check out the 2014 transformation.
Fuller Branch (CLOSED)
Anne Ide Fuller Branch
260 Dover Avenue
East Providence, RI 02914
- Opened 1926
- Hawthorne Ave. house
- Also known as Anne Fuller Brightridge Library when located on Brightridge Ave.
- 1970 Relocated to Dover Avenue building
- 2012 CLOSED