History of the East Providence Libraries
Weaver Library originally opened at its present location on Grove Avenue back in 1938. The library is named after Susan Weaver, a founder of the Watchemocket Free Library. Watchemocket Square was the early business district of East Providence
The area known today as East Providence was part of Massachusetts Bay Colony (Seekonk and Rehoboth). In 1862 part of Seekonk annexed to Rhode Island and became East Providence.
The East Providence Library system at one point included 4 library branches – Weaver, Riverside, Rumford and Fuller. Rumford and Fuller closed in 2012. Today we have two locations, Weaver and Riverside.
See MORE about our library history here.
Images of America – East Providence see p. 7, p. 32
Our Heritage: A History of East Providence see p. 146